Friday 5 October 2007

She'll Never Be Hungry Again
On my blog of Sept. 26 I described how My Lovely Wife resurrected a 1928 hand-cranked Singer sewing machine so she could recreate Scarlett O'Hara's famed barbecue dress from "Gone With the Wind" out of some old bedsheets. Here she is at work:


Why would she want to do this? So our younger daughter could wear the dress to Book Character Day at her school. Some bedsheets, some wire hangers and My Lovely Wife's scary competency resulted in this:


Pretty amazing, huh? Beatrice literally stopped traffic this morning as she walked to school. There is a Plantation Road in Oxford, but I don't think they've ever seen anything like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luckily, I was picked up by a thoughtful schoolmate before I became the "Girl that Crashed 100 Cars."

Suburban Correspondent said...

Great - now my daughter is going to want one...

Anonymous said...

Nothing like living abroad to bring out American ingenuity. The dress is spectacular. Carol Burnett did it with a curtain rod across the shoulders, from drapes. The sheets are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

The dress is remarkable but I'm still stuck on the "shrubbery shaggers" story of several days ago. They "did a man" several years ago for sheep shagging in front of a passing train (really), so I guess its good to know that the bar for public lewdness stands somewhere between the two.